momstown moms and kids are crazy for our alphabet crafts! And what better activity is there for an “Alphabet Soup” themed Art & Play then making Alphabet Soup! It is such a simple craft that turned out great! It requires a little bit of prep work so make sure you give yourself some time the day before.
Here’s how to make Alphabet Soup!
Ziploc bags (or other zippered plastic bag)
paper plates (without any design!)
The day before
1. In a ziploc bag, pour about ½ cup of rubbing alcohol and about 10-15 drops of food colouring. The more food colouring you put in, the brighter the pasta will be.
2. Add 2 C of pasta. Close the bag and coat the pasta with the liquid. Let sit.
3. Turn every 30 minutes or so for about 3 hours. The longer it sits, the brighter the colors will be!
4. Drain the liquid from the pasta and spread out on parchment paper. Let air dry overnight. If you are in a pinch and need it to dry faster, you can use a hair dryer on low to speed it up.
The day of the craft
1. Colour the rim of the paper plate with markers. This will be the bowl.
2. Then, colour the bottom of the plate whatever colour desired to make the broth.
3. Find the letters for the child’s name onto the broth. Then, glue letters randomly on the bottom of the plate. Use q-tips and white glue to get small amounts of glue and to work on fine motor skills.
4. Draw vegetables around your letters.
Enjoy looking at your alphabet soup!
**Please note that once dyed, pasta CANNOT be eaten**
Submitted by momstown Edmonton