Making homemade facepaint is easy and quick, and you get to control the ingredients. With this recipe, you will be ready the next time your little one wants to dress up as a cat, pretend she's a circus clown, or make believe that it is Halloween:
1 tsp cold cream
1/2 tsp corn starch
1/2 tsp water
food colouring in colours of your choice
(Recipe makes one colour of face paint)
1. Combine cold cream, corn starch, and water in a small container (we used an old muffin tin, and stirred together different colours of facepaint in each compartment of the tin, but you could also use an emply yogurt cup etc.)
2. Add a few drops of food colouring to the cold cream mixture, and stir. Continue adding a few drops of food colouring at a time until you achieve your desired hue.We found that bright colours were the most fun.
3. Repeat with additional colours. Apply the facepaint to your skin with clean new paintbrushes, Q-tips, or your fingers.
This is a great recipe to let little ones help with. Preschoolers can take turns measuring ingredients and stirring the mixture together.
- We found that the facepaint washed off easily with soap and water, and did not stain our skin. If you are concerned about the possibility of staining, test the facepaint first on the back of your hand, or apply a layer of plain white facepaint to your skin first before adding on colours.
- The facepaint thickened a bit as it sat. Although we did not try it, I suspect you could easily thin it out with a bit of additional water if you needed to.