After playing with our paper plate clown puppets yesterday, we got a little bit envious of the clowns' bright hats and noses. I am not one to pass up an opportunity to create crafts or to discourage kids' imaginative play, so today we set to work creating clown hats and clown noses that we could wear:
Not only were these crafts fun, but the majority of the supplies came from either the scrap paper bin or the recyling bin. Search around your house for miscellaneous stickers, ribbons and more. The sillier your clown hat is, the more fun it will be.
How to Make a Clown Hat:
In order to make a clown hat, you will need:
- brightly coloured construction paper or cardstock
- stickers, markers, crayons, or other embellishments
- clear tape
- curling ribbon
- satin ribbon or elastic string
- stapler (optional)
1. Draw a larger semi-circle onto your cardstock. A large dinner plate makes a good template to trace. Cut out semi-circle:
2. Fold semi-circle in half, so that you have a quarter circle:
3. Open up your semi-circle, and fold one corner of the circle up the centre crease. Open your semi-circle up again, and cut along the line you've just created. You should end up with a shape that looks like this:
4. Decorate your clown hat with stickers, markers, crayons, glitter, other scraps of paper, or anything that strikes your fancy (note: you can decorate your hat after you roll it into a cone shape too, but we found it was easier for the kids to decorate the paper before we rolled it).
5. Roll your paper into a cone, and tape along the inside seam (a stapler would work too):
6. Poke a small hole into either side of the hat, towards the bottom. Insert elastic thread or ribbon through the holes, notting on the inside of each hole. The thread will go under your chin to secure the hat to your head.
7. Cut curling ribbon into pieces, and curl with scissors (an adult's job). Tape the ribbon curls along the bottom of the inside of the hat to make the clown's colourful hair:
Now it's time to make your clown nose.
How to Make an Egg Carton Clown Nose
To make your clown nose, you will need:
- an egg carton
- red paint
- elastic string or ribbon
- a paint brush
- ribbon or elastic thread
1. Cut your egg carton into individual cups. Paint each cup red, and allow to dry. You may need to add a second layer of paint to achieve the colour you want.
2. Once your egg carton cups are dry, turn them over and use a skewer or push pin to poke a small hole on either side of the base of each cup. Insert thread or elastic string through each of the holes, notting on the inside to secure. You should have something that looks like this:
3. From the front, your clown nose should look like this:
Put on your clown hat and clown nose, and start clowning around!